– we are what we eat –
Editor’s note: this recipe was originally published on Hazel and Cacao, the plant-based blog of Newcastle creative and chef Talida.
Vegan Chickpea Veggie Omelette
Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 5 min. Serves: 1-2.
- 1/2 c. chickpea flour (besan flour)
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch turmeric powder
- 2 mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 capsicum, diced
- chopped spinach, a handful
- 1/4 c. black olives, sliced
- In a bowl, mix together the chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the water, oil, and tomato sauce.
- Pour the water mixture over the chickpea flour mixture and whisk well to combine. Try and get it as smooth as possible with no lumps. It will still work even if it’s a bit lumpy.
- Season with salt, pepper, and a little turmeric.
- Cut and dice mushrooms, capsicum and spinach to desired size and mix through the chickpea mixture. Add olives and mix again. Add any other veggies, preferred.
- Heat a frying pan with a little oil over medium heat. Pour mixture on to frying pan and cook for a few minutes on one side until you see bubbles forming on the top and the edges have started to brown. Flip the omlette carefully and cook on the reamining side for another 1-2 minutes.
- The mixture makes one large omlette or two small omlettes. I often double the recipe and use a ladle.
- Serve with avocado and extra greens and toast, if desired, and eat straight away.