Vegan Banana Bread
Editor’s note: Yummy, healthy, and in season! This vegan banana bread is just what you’re looking for this winter!
Serves: 12 Time: 1 hour
- ¼ c plain, unsweetened vegan milk
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ c vegan butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 very ripe medium bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ c flour
- ½ c whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ c walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour a 9″ loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together vegan milk and vinegar. Set aside for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream together vegan butter and sugar.
- Add bananas, vanilla, and milk mixture and beat.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flours, powder and soda, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add dry mixture to wet and beat just until all of the flour is moistened.
- Fold in walnuts.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the loaf comes out mostly clean.
- Slide a knife around the outer edge of the loaf to ensure nothing is stuck.
- Cool 5-10 minutes in loaf pan, then flip loaf out onto a wire rack and cool fully.
- If you aren’t already aware, there are dozens of recipes for homemade vegan butter floating around the web.
- Alternatively, you could opt to use chilled unrefined coconut oil.
Also, bear in mind that the riper (more flecked with brown spots) your bananas are, the stronger the banana flavor will be!
Thank you, Claryn, for this recipe!