Easy Vegan Red Lentil Dhal
An Easy and Vegan delicious Dhal recipe!
Talida, a Newcastle-based food blogger, shares her spin on a classic Indian dish.
- 1/2 c. dry red lentils
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 c. water
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbs. sunflower oil
- 1 heaped tbs. tomato paste
- 1 tomato diced
- 1/4 c. canned peas
- 2 tsp. dried vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- Fresh parsley or coriander
- Brown rice to serve
- Soak the lentils for at least 30 min.
- In a saucepan, add oil and fry diced onion until translucent.
- Add curry powder and all spices and fry for 1-2 minutes until they become fragrant.
- Add soaked lentils, 2 cups water, and dry vegetable stock.
- Simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the lentils are cooked and thick and most of the eater has evaporated.
- Add diced tomato, cook for a few more minutes, and add tomato paste and peas.
- Mix in tomato paste.
- Serve with brown rice (naan bread) and garnish with fresh parsley or coriander.