Creamy Cauliflower and Corn Soup
Editor’s note: This month we are sharing Juliana Muniz’s creamy, in-season Cauliflower and Corn Soup! Try it at home!
Serves: 2 Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1 onion
- 3/4 cups corn kernels (frozen or fresh)
- 1/4 cup of soaked raw cashews (optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If you are going to use the cashews, start by soaking them in boiling water until it is time to blend the soup.
- Prepare the ingredients: cut the cauliflower florets into large pieces and quarter the onion.
- Add the oil to a wide-bottomed pan and warm over high heat. When it is very hot, add the cauliflower. Place the flat part of the cauliflower in direct contact with the bottom of the pan. Add the onion pieces and stir from time to time so that all the ingredients are sautéed. The goal here is to brown them without letting them burn.
- When all the ingredients have a sautéd appearance, add the corn, 1 1/2 cups of water and salt to taste. Cover and cook over medium heat until the cauliflower is tender (about 7 min).
- When everything is cooked, turn off the heat. Drain the cashews, add to a high-powered blender with a portion of the soup liquid. Beat everything until it becomes creamy and there are no more pieces of cashews. Then add the rest of the contents of the pan to the blender.
- Blend everything until you get the desired creamy consistency (I like it very smooth). Taste, add black pepper and more salt if necessary.
- Divide into bowls and serve with your prefered sides.
Pro Tip: I like sautéing a few small florets of cauliflower and a little corn separately in a frying pan. You can also sauté mushrooms and serve on top of the soup. A sourdough toast also makes an excellent side!
Thank you so much, que comida é essa, for this recipe!