5-Ingredient Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili
- 1 med. yellow/white onion, diced (plus coconut/olive oil)
- 3 med. sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean + chopped into bite size pieces (~ 4 cups)
- 1 16-oz. jar salsa (chunky is best)
- 1 15-oz. can black beans (with salt), slightly drained
- 2 c. vegetable stock + 2 c. water
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp.chipotle powder
- 1-2 tsp. hot sauce
- In a large pot over medium heat, sweat onions in 1 tbs. oil and season with a healthy pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and continue cooking on medium heat until translucent and soft.
- Add sweet potato and any desired spices at this time. Cook for three minutes. Then add salsa, water, and vegetable stock.
- Bring mixture to a low boil on medium high heat and then lower heat to medium low and simmer. Add black beans, cover and cook for at least 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender and the soup thickened.
- The soup is best when prepared the night before or allowed to rest for a few hours to blend the flavours.
A big THANK YOU to Dana from minimalistbaker.com for her easy, nourishing recipe.