Chipotle Black Bean Tortilla Soup
Editor’s note: This month we are sharing Minimalist Baker’s warm, protein-rich Chipotle Black Bean Tortilla Soup! Try it at home!
Yield: Servings 6 Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 Tbsp avocado or coconut oil
- 1/2 white or yellow onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 red or orange pepper (diced)
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups Red Chipotle Salsa (or any blended or chunky spicy salsa)
- 4 cups vegetable stock (DIY or store-bought)
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar or maple syrup (to taste) (optional)
- 2 15-ounce black beans (cooked in salt // slightly drained)
- 1 15.25-ounce whole kernel corn (drained)
For Serving (Optional)
- Lime juice
- Fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Red onion (diced)
- Tortilla chips
- Ripe avocado (cubed)
- Hot sauce
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, garlic, onion, pepper, and a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently until onions are translucent and the peppers have a bit of colour.
- Add cumin and chilli powder and stir to coat. Then add salsa, vegetable stock and coconut sugar. Stir to combine, then increase heat to medium heat and bring to a low boil.
- Once it’s boiling, add black beans and corn and stir. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or more, stirring occasionally. The longer it simmers, the more the flavour will develop. It’s even better the next day.
- Serve as is or with recommended serving options above.
- Leftovers will keep covered in the refrigerator for 5-6 days or in the freezer for 1 month.
Thank you so much, Minimalist Baker, for this recipe!